Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of carbon monoxide. Vehicles or generators running in an attached garage can also product dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
- Place detectors closer to the ceiling, as carbon monoxide is lighter than air
- CO detectors should be installed in a central location outside each seperate sleeping area
- Test CO detectors at least once a month, and replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions
- CO detectors should be either ULC or CSA approved
- Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include: severe headache, dizziness, mental confusion, nausea, or faintness. Many of these symptoms are similar to the flu, food poisoning or other illnesses